Followers

Saturday 21 August 2010

Getting ready for the new car


I have used many Amateur radios in my cars over the last 27 years: covering the HF (Shortwave) bands right up to 1.2GHz (23 cms) band.

Sometimes I have had four different rigs in the car at the same time!

I have now reached the stage where I *think* I only need one radio in the car! The most common Amateur Radio Bands in use, for mobile working, are definitely those in the '2 metre' (145 MHz) and '70 cms' (433 MHz) range. I have a dual-band radio ('rig') that is quite small and yet powerful.

The rig runs at 50 Watts on the 2 metre band and 40 Watts on the 70 cms band. That is to say, the amount of radio 'energy' that leaves the rig has a maximum of 50 or 40 Watts. The rig can transmit at lower powers!

Luckily for me, this rig has the ability to use a Bluetooth headset so that I do not have to hold a 'fist' microphone whilst driving. I have always used a wired remote microphone, with a switch on the gear lever, before ~ but the thought of using a totally wires-free system was quite exciting!

I have fitted the Bluetooth board in the radio and have added the Yaesu speaker microphone that clips around my ear. I have tested it out & it all works fine!

All I have to do now is wait for the new car! Should be Tuesday 24th August.

I'll let you know how I get on with this project.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hello John, nice to see a blog up. I used to have one as well. My wife Jackie has one, see

http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.com/

it's activities we both get involved in. No AR though.

Phil.